Healthy Nutrition – Local Farm Fresh
Meals at Stepping Stone School are healthy, made from scratch and wholesome. Our fresh produce is grown on local farms (see below). Prepared in each school’s open gourmet kitchen, three snacks and a hot lunch provide a balanced combination of local farm fresh ingredients including fruits and vegetables, lean meats, and whole grains. We work closely with local community vendors to incorporate healthy farm fresh ingredients in our menu each week! Our chefs ensure children receive the nutrition they need through meals they love to eat. We are vigilant about allergies and food sensitivities and our campuses are peanut-free.
Meal times are used as an opportunity to enhance social-emotional development, as our teachers focus on self regulation, healthy eating practices, manners and coordination.
- All varieties of dairy are low fat & made from reduced fat or 2% milk.
- Our nutrition plan exclusively serves whole wheat and/or whole grain pasta, rice & bread items.
- All servings of vegetables are fresh/frozen daily.
- Children under two are served soft fruit and veggies in place of fresh.
- Local Farm Fresh options provided weekly
- National Food inspired days like, “Eat Your Vegetables Day” celebrated in the schools and on social media.
- Direct oversight of ingredients and recipes from our Head Chef, Helen Letkeman.
Stepping Stone School currently sources local farm-fresh produce from these Central Texas farms
- Johnson’s Backyard Garden – Austin
- Urban Roots Farm – Austin
- Boggy Creek Farms – Austin
- Tecolote Farms – Manor
- B. Catalani – San Antonio